- A 22-year old Bitcoin investor introduced a smartphone called ‘Freedom phone’.
- The self-claimed youngest BTC investor seems to target Trump supporters.
- Skeptics on Twitter believe that it appears to be a white-labeled version of Umidigi.
On Wednesday, a 22-year old Bitcoin investor introduced a smartphone called ‘Freedom phone’ claiming it will let people use apps free-of-censorship.
Erik Finman, the self-claimed youngest Bitcoin millionaire shared a video pitch in a Tweet regarding the ‘Freedom Phone’.
Today I’m announcing the Freedom Phone.
This is the first major pushback on the Big Tech companies that attacked us – for just thinking different.
Complete with it’s own Uncensorable App Store & Privacy Features.
— ERIK FINMAN (@erikfinman) July 14, 2021
In the video, he showed images of well-known US president Abraham Lincoln and activist Martin Luther King. He said these people would have been censored in today’s political climate.
Moreover, the German self-claimed BTC millionaire said,
I made it in Silicon Valley, and I’ve accomplished a lot in my life already, but now I’m leaving Big Tech to fight for free speech.
Finman also says this is the first major pushback on the Big Tech companies that attacked us – for just thinking different. His $499 smartphone is a way to stick it to tech moguls like Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey.
Meanwhile, skeptics on Twitters believe that it appears to be a white-labeled version of a cheap Chinese phone from manufacturer Umidigi. Also, they believe the phone’s operating system is simply an unlicensed version of Android. Whereas, Finman touts it as the first “based on your free speech”.
Max Kennerly, an attorney from Pennsylvania, posted images of both products in a tweet to let the community know it is the same phone.
* Get budget smartphone made in China that retails for $179.99 ✅
* Install free open source Google-managed OS, fail to do the free compatibility process so can’t use the Android name ✅
* Call it “Freedom Phone” and sell it to gullible Trump supporters for $499.99 ✅ pic.twitter.com/1Wt9AJYaeG
— Max Kennerly (@MaxKennerly) July 15, 2021
A lot of people noted that Finman and Freedom Phone failed to provide any manufacturer’s specifications, and some suggested that it was a rip-off aimed at Trump supporters.