- The US reclaims $2.3 million from a ransomware attack made three weeks ago.
- DarkSide cybercrime group is responsible for the attack.
- The US government will give cybercrime a headstrong battle.
US task force reclaims $2.3 million from a ransomware attack that took place three weeks ago. So far, the US officials have not disclosed any details about the method of recovery.
Initially, the attack took $90 million from the Colonial Pipeline. Additionally, the attacks prompted the company to shut down its operations at the East Coast Pipeline. The FBI said DarkSide cybercrime group is responsible for the attack.
Moreover, DarkSide, the East-European-based company, supposedly shut down a week before the attacks. Its business mostly includes conducting cyberattacks and developing ransomware for criminals.
Concerning the recovery, the Justice Department reclaimed $2.3 million in Bitcoins. This was from the funds paid to the members of the group DarkSide. The FBI also disclosed their investigation into DarkSide.
Furthermore, the ransom recovery ordeal is led by the DOJ digital extortion task force. Joseph Blount, the Colonial Pipeline Co. CEO had this to say,
When Colonial was attacked on May 7, we quietly and quickly contacted the local FBI field offices in Atlanta and San Francisco, and prosecutors in Northern California and Washington D.C. to share with them what we knew at that time. The Department of Justice and FBI were instrumental in helping us to understand the threat actor and their tactics. Their efforts to hold these criminals accountable and bring them to justice are commendable.
Lastly, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco made it clear that the US government will work to use all its power and available resources to make the attacks more costly than profitable for all criminal enterprises. In addition, she said “following the money” would always lead them in the right direction.